SANTA ANA (CNS) – A 59-year-old homeless man was convicted Tuesday of killing another transient who lived next door in a Salvation Army shelter in Anaheim.
Alvaro Mendoza Sahagun was convicted of second-degree murder in the March 14, 2021, stabbing of 36-year-old Marcos Zavala at the shelter in the 1400 block of South Salvation Place. He is scheduled to be sentenced Aug. 12.
The victim and his wife had been arguing loudly that evening, prompting the defendant to ask Zavala to step outside, where he stabbed him, prosecutors contended in a trial brief.
Sahagun claimed the victim rushed him, but one witness said he heard the defendant say, “I just couldn’t take it anymore,” prosecutors said.
Witnesses said Zavala was heard saying, “You stabbed me.”