HomeNewsNationalTop Democrat Will 'Seriously Consider' 2028 White House Run

Top Democrat Will ‘Seriously Consider’ 2028 White House Run

Sen. Mark Kelly said he’ll “seriously consider” running for president in 2028 during an appearance on BBC Newsnight.

Kelly, 61, a U.S. Navy veteran and retired astronaut, is currently battling accusations of “seditious behavior” made by President Donald Trump‘s administration for urging military personnel to refuse illegal orders and said he and his wife, retired former Rep. Gabby Giffords, have received “many” death threats amid Trump’s comments.

“We get them on a weekly basis now,” he said. “We had to get security to protect us 24 hours a day.”

Kelly said he was considering a White House run “because we’re in some seriously challenging times” and acknowledged that his background made him different from most senators.

“I’m one of the very few engineers, I’m the only person with a graduate degree in engineering the United States Senate. I’ve got combat experience, that’s kind of rare. I spent 25 years in the military,” Kelly said.

“It’s a serious decision. I just haven’t made it yet,” he added.

Kelly officially sued the Pentagon and Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth over allegations that he violated the Constitution while participating in a video to U.S. troops last month and a federal judge in Washington, D.C., granted his request for a preliminary injunction against Hegseth last week. The federal civil lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington on January 12, one week after Hegseth announced his intention to cut military retirement pay for Kelly, a former United States Naval officer who ranked as captain and served in the Gulf War.

Kelly’s lawyers accused the government of attempting to “trample on protections the Constitution singles out as essential to legislative independence” in the lawsuit, which was also filed against the U.S. Navy Department and its secretary John Phelan.

“It appears that never in our nation’s history has the Executive Branch imposed military sanctions on a Member of Congress for engaging in disfavored political speech,” the lawyers wrote.

Fellow Democrat Sen. Ruben Gallego previously bashed Hegseth after the Pentagon announced its investigation into “serious allegations of misconduct” against Kelly and five other Democrats calling on service members to “refuse illegal orders.”

“You will never, ever, ever even be half the man that Sen. Kelly is,” said Gallego, a former Marine, about Hegseth during an appearance on CNN’s The Arena with Kasie Hunt. “You, sir, are a coward! And the fact that you are following this order from the president shows how big of a coward you are. And I can’t wait till you no longer are the Secretary of Defense.”

Trump called on the arrest of Kelly and Democrat Sen. Elissa Slotkin of Michigan, Reps. Chris Deluzio and Chrissy Houlahan of Pennsylvania, Rep. Maggie Goodlander of New Hampshire and Rep. Jason Crow of Colorado over a video in which he claimed all showed SEDITIOUS BEHAVIOR AT THE HIGHEST LEVEL” which he said was “punishable by DEATH” in posts shared on his Truth Social account on November 20. Hegseth referred to the lawmakers as the “Seditious Six” while announcing the investigation of Kelly and referred to the video as “despicable, reckless and false … Kelly’s conduct brings discredit upon the armed forces and will be addressed appropriately,” via the New York Post.

Hegseth confirmed that Kelly was the only member of the group subject to War Department discipline as he is a retired Naval officer.

Eyekon Radio
Eyekon Radiohttp://eyekonradio.com
Southern California's hit radio from the streets. Playing local and mainstream music from yesterday, today, and tomorrow. We also have the best local talk radio and podcast shows!

Most Popular

Recent Comments