HOLLYWOOD (CNS) – A 17-year-old student at Helen Bernstein High School in Hollywood was hospitalized Friday due to a possible drug overdose.
Los Angeles Police Department officers and Los Angeles Fire Department paramedics were called to the school about 2 p.m. on reports of a medical emergency and found the boy suffering from symptoms indicative of a drug overdose, according to LAPD Officer Drake Madison.
The student was given a dose of Narcan for his symptoms and taken to a hospital, where he was listed in stable condition, according to the LAFD. It was not immediately known what substance the student ingested.
Friday’s incident marks the second time a student at Helen Bernstein High School suffered a drug overdose in just over a month. A 15-year-old female student was found dead in a bathroom on campus after overdosing on fentanyl on Sept. 13, police said.
Melanie Ramos was found unconscious in a girl’s bathroom and pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics. Her friend was hospitalized.
The Los Angeles Unified School District announced in September it would make the anti-overdose drug Narcan available at all of its campuses by mid-October and provide it to all LAUSD School Police officers, LAUSD Superintendent Alberto Carvalho said.
Carvalho also announced plans for a district-wide education campaign, including a “peer-to-peer” effort, to teach students about the consequences of fentanyl use.
“There is nothing better than a student peer to explain the consequences associated with fentanyl to other students,” he said.
The district also plans to roll out a safety task force that will work with school police and other local law enforcement agencies to provide a “greater level of supervision” in parks and other areas where students are believed to be obtaining drugs.